Friday, August 12, 2016

15 minutes projects-- Shadow Boxing

No, I'm not talking about teaching the kiddos how to become a boxer! I'm talking about creating shadow boxes for their rooms!

After Chunk was born, I realized I needed to do something with the hospital bracelets, tiny baby socks, etc. Booger's bracelets were still sitting in a bin, doing nothing. It was one of those "I'll get around to it sometime" type of project that 2.5 years later never happened.

A few weeks ago, we popped into Michael's and found these boxes on sale. I didn't want something too big because A) they were more expensive and B) I didn't want it to be a large focal point in their rooms, but a small addition with little items. Yes, I marvel over the boxes with lots of pictures, baby items, coming home outfits and such, but considering I don't even know where Boogers outfit is, I knew I wanted just a small reminder of precious times.
 the box measures approx 6"x14"

A few days ago, I carved out some time to prep and finish the boxes. I gathered all the items I wanted to put in:
** hospital bracelets
** painted wooden initial
** baby socks
** hospital/baby picture
** ultrasound picture

I debated adding things like their height/weight/time born, etc but at the moment I left that out. I may go back and add it in the future.

Some other items you could add:
** coming home outfit
** family picture
** newborn sized diaper
** hat or other items worn in hospital
** baby blanket or portion of one
** babys footprints

The first fail I had was using the insert to cut out the background paper I wanted for each box. Upon lining it up in the box, the "duh" part of my brain went off-- the insert was smaller than the actual background. Returning to the drawing board, I used the background itself and cut a new piece.
 


Then it was just arranging and taping/pinning things down. There was a lot of trial and error that went into the arranging portion. Each time I would to go pop it into the frame, something would fall off, be too close to the edge, etc. Each box took a while. The bracelets and socks are pinned down using straight pins, everything else is taped.

Which led to fail #2. Chunk's letter fell after day 1. I went back and hot glued it (careful not to get it on the ultrasound pic, as I may want to remove/change/keep them later) to the background paper.

Husband hung both boxes while I was out of the house yesterday morning, and my heart practically burst when I saw them on the walls. Yes, Chunk is still a baby, but seeing his and Booger's boxes on the walls almost made me cry. 

Tucked into a corner, but still makes my heart flutter. Booger's box is in the same corner of her room, too.

I'm so happy with the new additions to their rooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment